Saturday 17 July 2010

New Experiences

Yesterday I felt cold for the first time since I got here. We were going to hear the launch of the new album of one of the singers associated with the Association where I work, and got caught in really heavy rain - must be the heaviest rain I have ever seen - and got a bit wet, and hence cold (I was in a sleeveless t-shirt as it was hot when I left the flat). But soon dried out and got warm again. The event was much delayed because in rain like that no-one travels, and we had to wait an hour or two for they mayor, who was the patron of the event, to get there. Luckily there was a bar.... The event was held in the church hall of the local Catholic church, which was by far the poshest and best equipped building I have been in here - posher even that the banks I think. It was a great atmosphere, but fewer people than anticipated, because of the rain - a shame for the band.

And today I ate my first caterpillar. Caterpillars are a seasonal delicacy, whose arrival is eagerly awaited - they have just turned up, and are still quite expensive, but will get cheaper as they come into high season I am told.



But they are starting to appear around and about - women sell them door to door (we get quite a lot of travelling salesmen and women at work, rather more than just the book man we used to get in Warwick..), to take home and cook, but they are also on sale as street food, as I hope the pictures show. Crunchy, a bit oily, a sharp flavour which is difficult to describe, I am prepared to try another one or two before I commit myself to a considered opinion.

1 comment: